Kenan Memorial StadiumCarolina Tar Heels
78 Stadium Dr, Chapel Hill, NC, 27514
Kenan Memorial Stadium is located in Chapel Hill North Carolina. It is the football stadium on the campus of University of North Carolina. Kenan Memorial Stadium is home to the University of North Carolina Tar Heels football team. The stadium is owned and operated by the University. Construction began on Kenan Memorial Stadium in November 1926 and was completed in 1927. The stadium opened in November 1927 with the seating capacity of 24,000. The current seating capacity is 63,000. The field’s playing surface is natural grass. The stadium is nestled in a cluster of pine trees making it one of the top three most scenic facilities in the country. It is an unwritten rule that the stadium cannot extend above the height of the pine trees. Kenan Memorial Stadium is named as a memorial to the parents of William R. Kenan Jr., whose donation funded the construction of the stadium and adjoining field house. In 1963, funded by William Kenan the second deck was built on both sidelines and portable bleachers were added to both end zones. These additions brought the seating capacity to 48,000. In 1979 an additional 2,000 seats were added. In 1988 the press box and Chancellor’s box were removed. 2,000 seats replaced the boxes bringing the seating capacity to 52,000. From 1995-1998 Kenan Memorial Stadium underwent a major renovation. Permanent seating was added to the west end zone making the stadium a horseshoe. The renovation also included a new playing field and a new facility for the football team. The facility (Kenan Football Center) houses UNC locker room, weight room, training room, equipment room, player’s lounge, computer labs, study area, and a 100 seat auditorium. Also included was a “preferred seating box” located atop the north stands. The total of the seating additions over the three year renovation period brought the seating capacity to 60,000. In 2003 a scoreboard with video capability was installed. In 2007 ribbon boards replaced the old matrix boards located on the sidelines. In 2010 a two story facility was built replacing Kenan Field House. The 29,000 square foot Loudermilk Center for Student Excellence which houses the Blue Zone was built in the east end zone enclosing the stadium. The Blue Zone is a premier seating section consisting of 1,836 Concourse Club seats, 824 Upper Club/Loge seats and 20 suites seating the total of 320. The project tied the existing concourses together making Kenan Memorial Stadium a 360 stadium. Loudermilk Center also houses Carolina’s Olympic sports programs, strength and conditioning centers. This brought the seating capacity to its current 63,000. In 2011 at each end zone, a high definition video board was installed.
07-23-2014 Wed Hi 91°F
07-24-2014 Thu Hi 92°F
07-25-2014 Fri Hi 91°F
07-26-2014 Sat Hi 94°F
Lo 71°FWeather Powered by World Weather Online
- West Concourse behind Sections 114 and 117
- Near Gate 6 on the South side
- Near Gate 2 on the North side
Surrounding facility - General
- No event is scheduled here.
- Throughout facility
- All items are subject to search
- Permitted. No video.
- Permitted. Must remain closed in the seating area.
- Permitted. Must be factory-sealed.
- Permitted. Must fold and fit under seat.
- Permitted. Must be small.
Browse Fan Reviews
» Upload Your Own (login to upload an image)