Memorial StadiumIndiana Hoosiers
IU plans to enclose south end zone at Memorial Stadium
Posted October 9, 2014Zach Osterman - Indianapolis Star - BL...Read More...
11-01-2014 Sat Hi 46°F
11-02-2014 Sun Hi 51°F
11-03-2014 Mon Hi 55°F
11-04-2014 Tue Hi 50°F
Lo 35°FWeather Powered by World Weather Online
The stadium opened in 1960 with initial construction costs of $4,563,000. Initial seating capacity was 48,344 but with renovations and expansions the stadium can now seat 52,929. Although the stadium opened with a natural grass playing surface and switched to Astroturf, the stadium now uses the very popular FieldTurf playing surface. It replaced the original Memorial Stadium, built in 1925, a 20,000-seat stadium located on 10th Street where the arboretum now stands. On June 1, 2003, a $3.5 million renovation of the Memorial Stadium press box was completed, which also added 300 indoor club seats and 9 suites. In the summer of 2003, the Hoosier locker room in Memorial Stadium underwent a $250,000 renovation. The renovation was funded in large part by former Hoosier quarterback Trent Green his wife Julie and philanthropist Ted Derheimer. In 2005, head football coach Terry Hoeppner had a southern Indiana limestone boulder nicknamed "The Rock" installed in the north end zone as a new campus tradition. This limestone boulder was found prior to Hoeppner's first season at IU in the practice field. It was put on a granite slab and moved to the stadium. The Hoosiers and coach Hoeppner walked out and touched the Rock before every home game during Hoeppner's time as head coach. Hoeppner died of brain cancer on June 19, 2007, and The Rock now serves as motivation for the team as well as a tribute to Hoeppner.
- East and West Sides of Stadium
Handicap Entranc (01:30:00)
Purple (North) Lot; Green & Blue -
- $ 15.00 Cars
Grass (south) Lot - RV Parking
- $ 50.00
- South of 17th St.
- Penn State Nittany Lions at Indiana Hoosiers Event Date Time: 11/08/2014 12:00PM
- Purdue Boilermakers at Indiana Hoosiers Event Date Time: 11/29/2014 TBA
See all upcoming event at this venue
- on Concourse Level
- Indiana Football news
- #BeatMichigan: Helmets, Captains Revealed
- #IUFB Campus Pulse: Weight Room
- Murphy A Recipient of NFF National Scholar-Athlete Award
- Coach Wilson Michigan Week Transcript
- Tevin Coleman: The Nation's Leading Rusher
- BYE WEEK: Coach Wilson Talks
- #IUFB Players of the Game: Michigan State
- Post-Game Quotes: Indiana vs. Michigan St.
- Coleman Increases 100-yard Game Streak to Nine
IU plans to enclose south end zone at Memorial Stadium2014-10-09 14:07:53
Zach Osterman - Indianapolis Star -
- Permitted - Still Cameras Only