Memorial StadiumIllinois Fighting Illini
4102 S. 1st St, Champaign, IL, 61820
Memorial Stadium is located in Champaign Illinois. It is a football stadium on the campus of University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. Memorial Stadium is home to the University of Illinois Fighting Illini football team. The stadium is owned and operated by the University of Illinois. Memorial Stadium has the seating capacity of 60,670 and the playing surface is FieldTurf. The stadium is a memorial to the University of Illinois students who died in World War I and was dedicated on October 18, 1924. In 2002 the stadium dedication was extended to include those that died in World War II. The names of the fallen are etched on the 200 pillars or so that surround the stadium’s façade. Construction began on Memorial Stadium in September 1922 and was completed by November 1923. When originally built the stadium consisted of double-decked stands on both sidelines. In 1930 the single decked horseshoe was later completed on the south end zone along with a large student section at the north end zone. During construction there was heavy rain and a bulldozer sank into the field. It was decided that the cost of removing it outweighed the cost of leaving it buried under the field. It still remains there today. In 1967 a press box was added to the top of the west balcony. In 1974 as part of 50 year anniversary artificial turf was installed and a new lighting system. In 1985 renovation new AstroTurf was installed and in the northeast corner of the stadium a new football headquarters was built. Between November 1991 and August 1992 renovation project included all upper deck concrete bleachers on both sides of the field replaced along with the top 25 rows of the main stands. The stadium’s electric and drainage systems were brought up to code and new restrooms were built. In 1994 at the north end of the stadium a color scoreboard was added and in 2001 the AstroTurf was replaced with AstroPlay. Beginning after the 2006 season Memorial Stadium underwent a massive renovation project that was completed in before the 2008 season. All four sides of the stadium concourse areas were improved including better concessions and restroom facilities. The concourse areas were connected to go all the way around the stadium. At the north end of the stadium a 5,000 permanent seat structure was built. The existing scoreboard and video replay screen was moved from the north end of the field to the south end. A press box and luxury suites were built on the west side. The new boxes will be three stories and run along the length of the field. The 2013 renovation project included a new main scoreboard with Daktronics video board, sound system update and two long ribbon video boards. The ribbon boards were installed between the upper and lower decks along the façade on the east and west side of the stadium. Memorial Stadium in 2002 served as the home field for the Chicago Bears while Soldier Field was being renovated. Memorial Stadium has hosted the IHSA football state finals since 1999.
03-10-2014 Mon Hi 64°F
03-11-2014 Tue Hi 66°F
03-12-2014 Wed Hi 35°F
03-13-2014 Thu Hi 46°F
Lo 34°FWeather Powered by World Weather Online
- Great West Hall
- North Stands
- Colonnades Club Level
Surrounding facility - General
- No open flames. One space/vehicle.
- Youngstown State Penguins at Illinois Fighting Illini Event Date Time: 08/30/2014 TBA
- Western Kentucky Hilltoppers at Illinois Fighting Illini Event Date Time: 09/06/2014 TBA
- Texas State Bobcats at Illinois Fighting Illini Event Date Time: 09/20/2014 TBA
- Purdue Boilermakers at Illinois Fighting Illini Event Date Time: 10/04/2014 TBA
- Minnesota Golden Gophers at Illinois Fighting Illini Event Date Time: 10/25/2014 TBA
See all upcoming event at this venue
- Throughout facility
- Gate 15 on the East Side, Gate 16 on the West Side
Fighting Illini Merchandise
- East and West Great Halls of Stadium
- Illinois Football news
- Spring Football Update: March 7
- Illini Excel for NFL Scouts on Pro Day
- Illini Open Spring Practice
- Illini Ready for Spring Practice March 5
- Houston Bates Decides to Skip Final Illini Season
- UI Ticket Office Changes Location During State Farm Center Renovation
- Illini Legend Abe Woodson Passes Away at 79
- Illinois Football Spring Schedule Update
- Illinois and UConn Announce Home-and-Home Series
- All items and guests are subject to search.
- Designated areas only. Must have a pass-out.
- Permitted. No video. Must be small, hand-held. For personal-use
- Permitted. Must be a factory-sealed plastic bottle, 20oz or less
- Permitted. Must be in a clear plastic bag.
Browse Fan Reviews
» Upload Your Own (login to upload an image)