Michigan StadiumMichigan Wolverines
Michigan Stadium sees six-fold cell service upgrade
Posted August 13, 2014By Justin P. Hicks - Michigan Live - &nb...Read More...
08-23-2014 Sat Hi 85°F
08-24-2014 Sun Hi 83°F
08-25-2014 Mon Hi 91°F
08-26-2014 Tue Hi 87°F
Lo 71°FWeather Powered by World Weather Online
The stadium opened in 1927 with a seating capacity of 82,000 and construction costs of $950,000. The new structure was built on land that had been home to an underground spring. The water posed a problem during construction, creating a surface that resembled quicksand. It was this moist ground that engulfed a crane which remains under the stadium today. The high water table also led to nearly three-quarters of the stadium being built below ground level. The stadium featured a natural grass playing surface and after experimenting with Artificial turf it returned to natural grass in 1991. In 2003, the popular FieldTurf playing surface was installed. In 2010, the stadium underwent $226 million worth of renovations. Renovations included new bleachers, wider aisles and seats, a new press box, and luxury boxes/club seating. In 2011, the stadium added a new scoreboard and permanent lighting.
- North and South ends of the stadium
- Outside the Stadium at Gate G
Surrounding facility - General
- 2014 Michigan Wolverines Football Season (All Home Games) Event Date Time: 08/29/2014 TBA
- Appalachian State Mountaineers at Michigan Wolverines Event Date Time: 08/30/2014 12:00PM
- Miami (OH) Redhawks at Michigan Wolverines Event Date Time: 09/13/2014 3:30PM
- Utah Utes at Michigan Wolverines Event Date Time: 09/20/2014 TBA
- Minnesota Golden Gophers at Michigan Wolverines Event Date Time: 09/27/2014 TBA
See all upcoming event at this venue
- Sections 2, 4, 15-21, 25-31, 42 and 43
- By Gates 9 and 10
- Michigan Football news
- U-M Announces 2020-21 Home-and-Home with Washington
- Gardner Lands Spot on Manning Award Watch List
- Michigan Football Media Day: Brady Hoke Press Conference
- Michigan and adidas Unveil TECHFIT Uniform for Night Game
- Saturday Night Lights: Michigan to Hold Open Practice Aug. 16
- Youth Day Slated for Aug. 10 at Michigan Stadium
- Coach Hoke Set for ESPN 'Car Wash' on Thursday
- Funchess Among Ten Individuals on Big Ten's Players to Watch List
- Alumni Spotlight: Charles Young
Michigan Stadium sees six-fold cell service upgrade2014-08-13 14:07:35
By Justin P. Hicks - Michigan Live - Read More...
- All guests and items are subject to search
- Permitted. Single-frame flash only.
- Permitted. Must be in a factory-sealed plastic bottle.
- Permitted. 5x8x5 inches max.