Spartan StadiumMichigan State Spartans
Spartan Stadium is home to the Michigan State University's NCAA football team, the Spartans of East Lansing, Michigan. A $64 million expansion project completed prior to the start of the 2005 football season featured the addition of nearly 3,000 seats, including 24 suites and a 193-seat press box, bringing the current stadium capacity to 75,005. As part of the renovation, The Spartan" statue was relocated to the atrium of the new structure. The 200,000-square-foot addition also houses the MSU Alumni Association, University Development and other units. Just before kickoff, a long-lasting tradition continues at Spartan Stadium- the PA announcer gives the weather forecast and, with the help of the fans, declares that "it's a beautiful day for football!" This tradition takes place even during games played in poor weather.
04-20-2014 Sun Hi 68°F
04-21-2014 Mon Hi 74°F
04-22-2014 Tue Hi 56°F
04-23-2014 Wed Hi 60°F
Lo 41°FWeather Powered by World Weather Online
The stadium opened in 1923 with a natural grass playing field and initial construction costs of only $160,000. The stadium switched to a surface called TartanTurf in 1969 but once again switched surfaces to Astroturf in 1978. In 2002, Spartan Stadium returned to its Natural Grass playing surface. The stadium opened with a seating capacity of a mere 14,000 but after several renovations and expansions the stadium has room to seat 75,005. In 2005, Spartan Stadium opened with 24 brand new luxury suites, 800 club seats, upgraded bathrooms, and 3,000 additional seats which cost the stadium $64 million. The stadium added multiple video boards throughout the stadium in 2012. For almost 9 years, the stadium held the world record for the largest ice hockey crowd in history. On October 6, 2001, a rink was constructed at the center of the stadium for Michigan State's season-opening game against arch rival Michigan. Dubbed "The Cold War", 74,554 watched No. 1 nationally ranked Michigan State and No. 4 nationally ranked Michigan skate to a 3–3 tie.
- Lower level Section 25
- Outside the gates
- Southwest corner of the Stadium
Surrounding facility and on camp - General
- 2014 Michigan State Spartans Football Season (All Home Games) Event Date Time: 08/29/2014 TBA
- Jacksonville State Gamecocks at Michigan State Spartans Event Date Time: 08/30/2014 TBA
- Eastern Michigan Eagles at Michigan State Spartans Event Date Time: 09/20/2014 TBA
- Wyoming Cowboys at Michigan State Spartans Event Date Time: 09/27/2014 TBA
- Nebraska Cornhuskers at Michigan State Spartans Event Date Time: 10/04/2014 TBA
See all upcoming event at this venue
- West Lower and Upper Concourses
- East Lower and Upper Concourses
- West Gates G&H at Section 26
- All gates visually inspect bags.
- Designated areas away from seating
- Permitted. No video or professional equipment.
- Permitted. 5.5x8.5x2 inches max.