Williams-Brice StadiumSouth Carolina Gamecocks
Williams-Brice Stadium is an outdoor football stadium in Columbia, SC. It is the home of the South Carolina Gamecocks of the SEC and has been voted the best game day experience in the SEC. Opened in 1934 with an original capacity of 17,600, the capacity is now almost 5 times that at approximately 80,250 occupants.
Williams Brice Stadium, known to many locals as “The Cockpit,” has been the home of South Caroline Gamecock football since 1934. The stadium was built during the Depression era with funding from the Works Progress Administration. The new stadium, known as Columbia Municipal Stadium, opened its doors on September 23, 1934 for a 25-0 South Caroline win over Erskine. In 1935, the South Carolina state legislature voted to transfer ownership of the stadium to the university. This transfer became official in 1941, and the venue was renamed Caroline Stadium.
Though it had a capacity of 17,600 when it first opened, this was nearly doubled to 34,000 in 1949. A two-phase renovation in 1970-1972 brought this total to 53,865. This renovation was partially funded through a gift from the estate of Martha Williams Brice, leading another change of the stadium’s name to Williams Brice Stadium. Further additions in 1982 and 1996 brought the stadium to its current capacity of 80,250. In additions to these expansions, over $30 million of renovations since 2000 have added luxury boxes, a new sound system, and other amenities to the stadium.
Apart from Gamecocks football, the stadium has hosted events such rock concerts, a papal visit from John Paul II in 1987, and a presidential campaign stop for Barack Obama in 2007.Advertisement:
- Williams-Brice Stadium
1174 George Rogers Blvd Columbia, SC 29201
Call at (803) 748-8978
- University of South Carolina
- Carolina Stadium
Capital City Stadium Parking Lot - General
- 301 South Assembly ST, Columbia, SC 29201
Farmers Market - General
- Bluff Road Area
Carolina Fair Park - General
- George Rogers Blvd Gate 6
- 08/28 Texas A&M Aggies at South Carolina Gamecocks
- 09/06 East Carolina Pirates at South Carolina Gamecocks
- 09/13 Georgia Bulldogs at South Carolina Gamecocks
- 09/20 South Carolina Gamecocks at Vanderbilt Commodores
- 09/27 Missouri Tigers at South Carolina Gamecocks
- 10/18 Furman Paladins at South Carolina Gamecocks
- 10/25 South Carolina Gamecocks at Auburn Tigers
- 11/01 Tennessee Volunteers at South Carolina Gamecocks
- 11/15 South Carolina Gamecocks at Florida Gators
- 11/22 South Alabama Jaguars at South Carolina Gamecocks
- South Carolina Football news
- Carolina Calls With Martin & Spurrier This Week
- Kelcy Quarles Named AgSouth Athlete of the Week
- Quarles Honored For Saturday's Performance
- Gamecocks Climb Two Spots in National Polls
- South Carolina vs. Clemson Post-Game Quotes
- South Carolina vs. Clemson Post-Game Notes
- Gamecocks Capitalize on Clemson Turnovers, Take 31-17 Win
- Gamecock Gameday: Football Hosts Clemson On Saturday
- Gamecocks Practice Indoors Again Wednesday
Browse Fan Reviews
Hampton Inn Columbia Hotel Downtown822 Gervais Street, Columbia, SC, 29201
Phone no: 803-231-2000
Located in the heart of Downtown, our newly renovated appointed guestrooms are equipped with every modern convenience while maintaining the look and feel of the surrounding Historic District.
Hilton Columbia Center Hotel Columbia924 Senate Street, Columbia, SC, 29201
Phone no: 803-744-7800
Experience our intimate and upscale Hilton® Columbia Center hotel in Columbia South Carolina, ideally located in the center of the financial, entertainment and historic district.
Columbia Marriott1200 Hampton Street, Columbia, SC, 29201
Phone no: 803-771-7000
The Columbia Marriott Downtown is located at the heart of the Famously Hot, Surprisingly cool city
Blue Marlin1200 Lincoln Street, Columbia, SC, 29201
Phone no: 803-799-3838
The Blue Marlin Restaurant, proudly serving "A Taste of the Southern Low Country," located in Columbia South Carolina's thriving Congaree Vista District.
Motor Supply Co Bistro920 Gervais Street, Columbia, SC, 29201
Phone no: 803-256-6687
Motor Supply Company has been serving the finest and most diverse culinary dishes in the heart of the Congaree Vista since 1989.
Ristorante Divino803 Gervais Street, Columbia, SC, 29201
Phone no: 803-799-4550
Welcome to Ristorante Divino, Columbia's destination for excellent Northern Italian cuisine featuring fresh and locally grown ingredients prepared in modern combinations.